Sports Medicine Outreach
Baptist Health Care and the Andrews Institute provide hands–on assistance to lessen the possibility of athletic trauma by providing certified athletic trainers (ATCs) and physicians to all public high schools in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties.
In just the last year, over 7,100 injuries were treated and over 3,000 sports physicals were provided to local area athletes. Even more unique, our ATCs work with local EMS units to improve first responder skills and techniques.
We also provide a free Student-Athlete Injury Clinic.
The physicians and certified athletic trainers that staff the Injury Clinic provide free injury assessments to athletes on a walk–in basis. Many of these athletes participated in a sporting event the evening before and either didn’t have medical attention on–site or awoke to grueling pain that needed urgent care.Learn more
Our Certified Athletic Trainers provide the following services:
- Daily medical coverage, injury evaluations/management for all partner schools
- 24–hour on–call service for all schools
- Annual athletic physicals
- Liaisons to assigned team physicians for each school
- Free injury assessments and recommendations for follow–up care
- Fast-track emergency room care
- Education and instruction for students/coaches/community sports organizations
- Education seminars
- Student trainer clinics
- CPR/AED training
- Student education in sports medicine career paths
- Sport–specific instruction and development of preseason, in–season and off–season conditioning for athletes
- Student-Athlete Injury Clinic during the fall for athletes
- First-aid treatments and organization/implementation of emergency protocols at each high school
- Medical coverage available for community sporting events upon request
These services are provided to the parents, athletes and schools — insurance is never billed for the services the ATCs provide. Baptist Health Care and the Andrews Institute pay for all related expenses and fund the program through grants and charitable contributions.